Sunday, August 18, 2013

Internet Initiative Scholarship


     Being the ordinary human being that I am, I cannot predict the future. However, I have some idea of what I would like to do after college. My plan for my post-college world is to be a YouTuber and make videos for a living. People my age have found entertainment from the internet more so than the television, and this can be said of myself. I love surfing the internet. At first, I was enthralled by social media websites (and I still am), but something else caught my attention. It’s a website called YouTube. I always knew YouTube existed before I was consumed by it. I would watch a music video or a “how to” video here and there, but I wouldn’t just watch YouTube for the sake of watching YouTube. Then I found out that the author, John Green, was a vlogger, or video blogger, on YouTube. That’s where my obsession began. I started watching vlog after vlog. Then he mentioned other YouTubers, so I looked up their channels. One YouTube channel that has stuck out to me is ApprenticeA Productions. Instead of a lone person making YouTube videos, ApprenticeA is a small company of people who make videos together. Can you see where this is going now? I would spend so much time watching all of the YouTubers fascinate me with their videos, and then a thought occurred to me. I want to make YouTube videos for a living. I specifically want to be like ApprenticeA because they are a group of friends who live and work together in the same house and make YouTube videos.....for a living. That sounds like fun. While it is a lot of fun, YouTube videos can be hard work. Their videos specifically require a lot of patience and hard work. They do not only make videos about random topics, but also produce short film-like videos. It’s a happy mix between the movie world and the YouTube world. ApprenticeA is like a movie production company, but on a smaller scale, and being the movie buff that I am, that sounds like my cup of tea. I hope to one day work for ApprenticeA or build up the guts to create my own YouTube channel like theirs. Now the question of how I would use the internet to help me excel in my occupation seems self-explanatory by now, but I’ll happily elaborate. I want to make videos for YouTube. YouTube is on the internet. Therefore, I would need the internet for my job to even exist. But, of course, there are other ways in which the internet would help my occupation thrive. First, the internet would be a great place to gather ideas and topics for a video. The internet is full of creativity and that’s the first place I’d go to determine what an audience would like to see from my videos. The internet is also a great place to determine trending topics, which could ultimately make my videos more popular and more interesting. Second, the internet is a great place for marketing. I mean, it’s a big place. I would utilize every social media website I know in order to promote my YouTube channel and my videos. That is how some of the most successful YouTubers today have gained their success. A simple tweet or post with the appropriate tags could help my videos spread like wildfire. Finally, I would use the internet to help me edit my videos. There are many great applications out there can be found on the internet that would help me polish up my videos in post-production. Editing is an important part in the video-making process, so I need proper tools to do that. Also, the internet is a great place for research. If I ever hit a snag while working on a video or I don’t know everything there is to know about video-making, the internet is a very helpful place. With a wealth of information at my fingertips, I can find the help I need to make sure my videos are the best they can be. Now, while I am not living in the post-college world, I can still start working toward my post-college goals. After I finish writing this blog post, I will definitely be going back to YouTube and watching more videos and learning more about video-making. I only hope that as I watch more and more videos and learn more and more things that I will become more driven to make my own channel and my own videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment