Monday, August 19, 2013

AT&T Internet and Education Scholarship


Has the On Demand revolution and shift to consuming media online affected me positively as a student? Heck yes! A major thought on a student’s mind today is saving money. I use the internet everyday whether it be keeping up on social media or googling for advice or researching for a project. Living in a college dorm and not having access to  ALL of the television channels at home is a tough transition. But, with the help of the internet, I can always watch the latest episode of any given show at any given time. It’s a lifesaver! I usually rely on a show’s website to watch latest episodes, but I have also used Netflix’s free trial to find entertainment that is Netflix exclusive. Also, with the shift of media consumption online, YouTube has become a hit. YouTube is one website I check out daily. It’s a great place to watch miniseries or funny cat videos or vlogs from your favorite YouTuber. And occasionally, there are even TV shows or movies on YouTube that I can watch, but shhh...don’t tell anyone. However, there is one benefit of online media consumption that has impacted me the most: having the ability to watch hockey on my computer. In college, you cannot buy special packages for your TV. Now, I’m a hockey fanatic who is going to college in a state that is not home to my favorite team. Do you expect me to miss all of my team’s games because I can’t subscribe to this package? Heck no! With the shift to online media consumption, I have the ability to subscribe to NHL Gamecenter Live on my computer and watch out-of-market games whenever I want. Having an opportunity to still watch my favorite team makes me a happy camper. And when I’m a happy camper, I’m not stressed or in a bad mood. And when I’m not stressed or in a bad mood, I am a better student. Having the opportunity to escape from stressful college life is essential. I like to think that having a little relaxation time every day is a good thing, and I like to use that time enjoying watching TV shows or YouTube or hockey online. The shift to online media consumption makes my life as a student easier and also satisfies my entertainment needs. I can’t imagine any student who would condemn this shift to online media consumption unless their argument is that  they are too distracted by it. And to that I say, a healthy balance is the key to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment